Saturday 31 July 2021

I liked it but I didnt know what the f@!k it was about, Courtyard Studio, Canberra Theatre, July 30-Aug 1

 

Joel Bray's work-in-progress show is a mixture of standup and contemporary dance, using his skills in both fields to explore how audience reactions to contemporary dance, with the assistant of a musician, Jess Green (aka Pheno). I must admit I'm only a casual viewer of contemporary dance - I have occasionally thought about going deeper in but between the ticket costs of your average Sydney Dance Company or Bangarra show and my own lack of familiarity, this capsule piece provides a fun way to explore the field with a bit more knowledge and entertainment. This is clearly a work-in-progress show - a couple of bits need a little bit of tightening and development, but the concept and the passion is there with a vengeance and Bray is the right performer to do this kind of Contemporary Dance Missionary work. This is a very fun night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment